Looking for an easy meal that’s healthy, lower in calorie and still is satisfying and filling? This Healthier Burrito recipe is delicious and super simple to make!
This glorious combination of brown rice and black beans, veggies, chunky guacamole, and Mexican spices will be a hit among both kids and adult. Pair with extras like salsa or sour cream for the perfect finish.
Burrito is one of the most recognized staples of Mexican American cuisine. It’s a common food of Mexican and American origin consisting of a tortilla wrapped around a mixed filling of such as meat, cheese, beans, and vegetables. The deep-fried version of the burrito, popular throughout the American Southwest, is the chimichanga.
Today, the burrito is a versatile food carried around anywhere. This handheld treat should be savored, but it can also be enjoyed on the go, even while getting ready for school or on the way to work. The burrito is not only versatile in how it’s eaten but also in how it’s filled.
How to Make Healthier Burritos
Next, fold in the sides and roll up the burrito. Repeat with remaining wraps and fillings.
Finally, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add burritos, seam side down, and cook until golden brown. Turn burritos and toast on 1-2 more sides or until burritos have a crispy crust. Slice down the middle when you’re ready to enjoy.
Mexican food is almost everyone’s favorite! There’s something about those super colorful and flavorful ingredients that just call on us. Mexican food can be super healthy if we stick to mostly fresh wholesome ingredients. Brown rice, beans, lettuce, and bright red sweet tomatoes are all full of nutrients. This Healthier Burrito recipe is wonderful option to stay healthy and on budget.
If you try this recipe and like it, please leave your feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! Please also share it with your friends and family.
- 6 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups cooked "Black Beans and Brown Rice" (link above)
- 1 cup "Chunky Guacamole" (link above)
- 1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup lettuce or your favorite greens (roughly chopped)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (chopped) (optional)
- Lay down all tortillas then add equally to each Black Beans and Brown Rice, Chunky Guacamole, tomatoes and lettuce.
- Fold in the sides and roll up the burrito. Repeat with remaining wraps and fillings.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add burritos, seam side down, and cook until golden brown. Turn burritos and toast on 1-2 more sides or until burritos have a crispy crust.
- Slice down the middle when you’re ready to enjoy.