These Sesame Cookies have a rich flavor, soft texture, and such a delicious sesame flavor. The Tahini is mixed into the dough and coated in sesame seeds for a delightful crunch.
Sesame seeds are tiny, oil-rich seeds derived from the Sesamum indicum plant. They have been consumed for centuries and are a staple in many cuisines around the world. These seeds offer a range of health benefits due to their nutritional content. They are rich with essential minerals such as copper, magnesium, calcium and iron. They are also a great source of protein and fiber.
What is tahini?
Tahini is a thick paste made from ground sesame seeds. It is a staple ingredient in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines and is widely used in dishes like hummus, baba ganoush, falafel, and various sauces and dressings. Tahini has a rich, nutty flavor and very creamy texture.
There’s so much more to tahini than just being one of the main ingredients of hummus. It’s absolutely incredible in sweet treats, and these Sesame Cookies are a wonderful introduction into the world of sweet tahini treats. This is an easy recipe that you can make in just about 20 minutes. These cookies are mixed, rolled, covered with sesame seeds, and flatten with your hand before baking.
If you try this recipe and like it, please leave your feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! Please also share it with your friends and family.
Sesame Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup tahini
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour (I like to use heritage whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tahini, honey, vanilla, and egg. Next, add the whole wheat flour, baking soda, and sea salt and mix until combined.
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop large balls and roll them in your hands to make them smooth and round.
- Spread the sesame seeds out on a plate in a single layer. Roll the cookie dough ball around the plate until it’s completely covered with sesame seeds. Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- When you have about 8 on your sheet, use your hand to flatten them and then bake for 10 – 12 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for about five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.