These Healthier Brownies have the combination of chocolatey flavor, various textures, and the joy of indulgence. This recipe is relatively simple to make, requiring only a few basic ingredients and minimal preparation. They are rich and chocolatey, and they make the perfect healthy treat!
If you love brownies but wish they weren’t so bad for you? Why not make healthier chocolate brownies? Traditional brownies can be quite high in calories due to their high sugar and fat content. This recipe has a lower caloric density, allowing you to enjoy a treat without consuming excessive calories.
Sometimes, you just need some chocolate and there is nothing better than a nice chocolate brownie. This recipe makes just one 8×8-inch pan, but they are so good you may want more. If so, feel free to double the recipe and bake in a 9×13-inch pan.
Store any leftover brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. I find these actually taste even better the next day after refrigerating.
If you try this recipe and like it, please leave your feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! Please also share it with your friends and family.
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F, and line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, maple syrup, applesauce, egg, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, fully combine the whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine into a dark, smooth brownie batter. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the brownie batter to the lined baking dish and smooth it out evenly. Top with more chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the brownies are puffed up and fluffy. Remove, let cool for about 30 minutes, slice, and serve.