This Savory Zucchini Waffles recipe is an easy and healthy addition to breakfast, brunch, or side dish for dinner. They are also a great way to use summer zucchini from your garden.
One great way to start eating healthier is to focus on eating more vegetables and fruits every day. Vegetables are packed with nutrients, fiber, vitamins, and so many more health benefits to keep us healthy. Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables and making these zucchini waffles are a great way to get some wonderful vegetables.
I grow zucchini and yellow squash in my garden every summer, and I am always looking for new recipes to use them up. When it comes to this waffle recipe you can use all yellow squash, all zucchini or a combination of the two.
These Savory Zucchini Waffles are really easy to make. All you have to do is mix all of the ingredients together and pop them in your waffle maker. I love how the edges crisp in the mini waffle iron.
Zucchini preparation tips (Don’t ignore this step):
1. The zucchini should be finely shredded. This will make it easier to keep the waffles together.
2. The liquid of the zucchini needs to be squeezed out as much as possible: place zucchini in a bowl. Sprinkle grated zucchini with salt and let stand for about 10 minutes, then squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Discard drained liquid.
If you try this recipe and like it, please leave your feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! Please also share it with your friends and family.
Savory Zucchini Waffles
- 2 medium zucchini (grated)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup onion (minced)
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ⅓ cup plain bread crumbs (or gluten-free plain bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Avocado oil spray
- Place zucchini in a bowl. Sprinkle grated zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand for about 10 minutes, then squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Discard drained liquid.
- Combine all the ingredients and remaining salt in a bowl.
- Heat the waffle iron (I used a mini waffle maker), when hot spray with avocado oil and add 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture and spread around.
- Close the iron and cook until the light shuts off and the edges are golden brown.
- Set aside and keep warm while repeating with the remaining batter and avocado oil spray.