This Tomatillo Chicken with Zucchini Noodles recipe is delicious, simple, and healthy, and is pretty much the perfect dinner. This is my go-to recipe for boneless skinless chicken thighs!
Healthy low-carb spiralized zucchini noodles tossed in fragrant tomatillo chicken. Spiralized zucchini noodles are an incredibly fresh and healthy alternative to pasta. They are a fun way to increase the number of vegetables we eat.
You will need a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles. Spiralizers are specialized kitchen gadgets that can turn vegetables into strands of curly noodles. In addition to zucchini, you can use a spiralizer with potatoes, carrots, butternut squash and more.
Do you eat spiralized zucchini noodles cooked or raw? You can absolutely eat them both ways. For this specific recipe, I cook them for a minute or two, until they’re warmed through.
Squash and zucchini
Squash and zucchini are a good source of vitamins and minerals and provide many health benefits. Read more about health benefits of the zucchini: “Health Benefits of Zucchini”.
If you try this recipe and like it, please leave your feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! Please also share it with your friends and family.
Tomatillo Chicken with Zucchini Noodles
- 6-7 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces tomatillo salsa (try before cooking. I like to use the Frontera tomatillo salsa)
- Salt and black pepper to taste (salsa may have enough salt and spice)
- 4 medium zucchinis (or two green zucchinis and two yellow squash)
- Garnishes (optional): fresh cilantro and/or grated Cotija cheese
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, if needed. Salsa may have enough salt and spice for this dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until lightly golden brown on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Add the tomatillo salsa and simmer covered for about 15 – 20 minutes. Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchini. Remove the chicken pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add the spiralized zucchini to the pan with the remaining salsa and toss for a minute or two until they're warmed through.
- Return chicken to the pan. If desired, garnish with cilantro and grated Cotija cheese, and serve.